The first time we tried to reverse sear a standing ribeye roast…it came out perfect.
Many people know to sear meat before, and then put it into the oven…
but today we will tell you how to reverse sear a beef roasts.
What is the reverse sear method?
As the name would suggest, we will slowly roast and then sear this large piece of meat.
The steps of reverse searing are:
Step 1: Put the roast into the oven. Wait.
Step 2: Pull the roast out, get your oven to maximum temperature and toss the roast back in for 6-10 min (or until well-browned)
How to reverse sear a beef roast?
- Unwrap your beef roast and pat down with a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture
- Now liberally coat the outside with salt & pepper. Remember the larger the roast, the more seasoning you will want to put on the outside.
If you like, keep the roast in the fridge overnight. This will ensure the seasoning penetrates deep into the roast.
- Before you put the roast into the oven be sure it reaches room temperature. This will help ensure an even cook.
- Set the oven temperature to the minimum of 90°C
The best way to cook anything is low and slow.
What we’re trying to achieve is a roast that gets a pink inside as slow as possible
- Now set the roast in the oven (fat cap up or bones on bottom)
- Place the thermometer so the probe reaches the center of the roast
- Wait until the meat thermometer reads
60°C --> Rare
60-65°C --> Medium-rare
65-70°C --> Medium
70°C --> Medium well done
75°C --> Well done
In a 90C° oven this will take around 5.5 hours to 6.5 hours.
At 121C° this will take 3.5 hours to 4 hours. → this will vary on the size of the roast
Top tip: If your roast is done long before your guests arrive, you will need to place in a 93C° oven for 45 minutes before continuing to step 2.
- Remove the roast from the oven and loosely cover with aluminum foil.
You will want to rest for 30 min. Or up to 1.5 hours.
Preheat the oven to the highest possible temperature setting (260°C-300°C)
- 10 min before guests are ready to be served, remove foil and place roast back in the hot oven.
- Cook 6-10 min. or until the outside is well-browned and crispy.
- Remove, carve and serve immediately.
What do I need to reverse-sear beef roasts?
– Meat thermometer
– Salt & Pepper
– Beef Roast ->
Let’s start with the basics.
What is a beef roast?
Just like the steaks you know, roasts are simply larger in size, whole pieces of the cow.
These are large pieces of meat.
Perfect for dinner parties where you’re serving 5 people or more
How do you cook the perfect beef roast?
Beef (as with other ruminants) is the only meat you cannot get sick from being raw or slightly raw.
Thus, the objective of perfectly cooking beef, is a crispy outside, with a pink, tender inside.
The objective of perfectly cooking beef, is a crispy outside, with a pink, tender inside
How to you cook the perfect steak?
With steaks averaging from 300g-1kg, it is easy enough to slap a steak on the grill (or a hot pan), and you will be ready to eat in under 10 min.
What happens when you have to prepare a 2kg+ beef roast?
This is where we use a reverse sear to achieve a completely tender inside…
With that all-important crispy outside.
If this is your first time doing a reverse sear don’t panic.
Remember to cook low and slow.
This guarantees tenderness and avoids overcooking the roast.
Reverse searing on the other hand, guarantees a perfectly cooked roast.
This is one of the most simple, mouth-watering meals you can create.
And all it takes is 3 simple steps.
Now that you know how to reverse sear roasts, all you need is a quality roast->